Monday, March 27, 2017

Oral Presentation

Setting
  • Book/Story
    • A young couple (girl- 18 boy- 20ish)
    • Writing to each other
      • Boy is at sea (escaping bc. He was rebel radio host)
      • Girl is in Haiti (living with father and can’t leave bc. Father’s controling)
  • Scene
    • Takes place before The Children of the Sea
    • Keeps three main characters from story
      • daughter, father, boyfriend/radio host
    • Shows/Tells how the situation escalated and where the perspectives of the characters came from
    • Very minimal staging (little to no props)
    • Used very little lighting and sounds
      • Only used lighting and sounds during important scenes
        • ei sounds of ocean in between transitions to show that the next scene was on a beach
        • ei used different colored lights while he was broadcasting to show we were in different places
Theme
  • young love
    • ei daughter and radio host
  • Defiance
    • ei daughter and father
Character
  • The character I played was the daughter
  • I observed the character and found common interests
    • made it easier to connect with the character
  • She had no name
    • kept this way so it would not be confusing
    • we thought it would help the audience connect better because it could be anyone
  • Didn't move much at the beginning
    • tried to show that I was shy
    • stayed to myself and was quiet around the radio host
  • Opened up more around the boyfriend during the dates
  • In the book she seems very open
    • States her opinions
    • Doesn’t back down from her opinions
  • I tried to keep that as a main feature of her
    • From begining was standing up for herself
      • Ei argument with father
    • Stood up for her and boyfriend when father came found them
  • We imagined she was around 18
    • Tried to portray her as mature
      • Thought out argument as to why I wanted to go/made valid points
      • Walked slowly (accept when excited) and at a calm pace
Symbolism
  • We used a flower as a symbol of our love
    • he called me 'his daffodil'
    • he had to leave and he told me not to wilt (not to be sad)
  • We used a letter for foreshadowing
    • Foreshadowed the letters we would write back and forth
    • He also asked me directly to write to him in the letter
Style
  • Style of writing in story was letters
    • To and from boyfriend and girlfriend
  • Tried to show how the style came to be
  • Took information in book to adapt characters correctly
    • Boyfriend: neat, correct grammar/punctuation
      • Showed that he was literate/had some form of education
    • Girlfriend: messy, no caps letters, little to no punctuation
      • Showed that she didn’t have proper education if any.
  • Adapted/interpreted that style as she didn’t need education because her job didn’t require it.
    • Used that info for setting
      • ei I never worked in the scene
      • ei only showed my boyfriend at his workplace
Relationship
  • Keep relationships in story same in adaptation
    • ei daughter is defiant to father
    • ei father doesn’t like the boyfriend
  • Names never used in book
  • Never used names for characters but made sure the audience would know who they are
    • ei I called my father Papa
    • ei called my boyfriend ‘my love’ and he called me his daffodil
Overall
  • What I think I did well
    • Learn my lines and improvise where I needed
      • Some of the lines were not said by another actor or were said too early
      • I did a good job filling in the lines when needed
    • Portrayed the character accurately
      • Changed mannerisms and tone of voice to what I believed she would sound like
  • What I didn’t do as well
    • Wish I worked more on staging
      • Maybe used more props or was more accurate with them
      • Ran through the scene more and timing
    • Should have kept up with other actors/partners
      • Should have made sure they knew their lines more
      • Should have gone through the scene with them more
        • Made sure we were all on the same page

No comments:

Post a Comment